Friday, November 17, 2006

Animal Magnetism

A few years ago, dogs really irritated me. Maybe it was E's two horribly-behaved dogs. They were constantly under foot, constantly barking, constantly in your way, and basically just a big fat pain in the ass. Dogs are needy. I didn't like needy. I didn't want anything needing me. Anyway, I've always been a cat person.

My feelings have changed about animals.

Now it doesn't matter what kind of animal it is. I feel for ALL of them. It makes me sad to see a dead animal on the road. A few months ago a squirrel jumped out in front of my car and I cried all morning over it. The boyfriend called it a "squirrelicide." Now, I pet all dogs. Even my friend's yellow lab who, up until now, I COULD NOT STAND. Talk about needy. Good lord.

I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm pre-menopausal. Maybe it was last year's adoption of my two adorable kitties--Mary Ann and Ginger. (Mary Ann is the brunette; Ginger is the movie star.) Maybe the boyfriend is right, and I'm actually starting to grow a heart. Whatever it is, over the past couple of years my sensitivity to animals has mushroomed. Stories like this one break my heart. Apparently China is now applying their "one only" policy to dogs as well as children. Authorities are going house to house, taking dogs and exterminating them. Where is PETA? Remember the hurricanes? I can't bear to think about all of the stranded animals. CuteOverload is now my favorite website.

Even though I've had a change of heart, I still love a good filet every now and again. Since my transformation, I figure I'm only partly horrible. And, I'll have a baked potato with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home